DIY Felt Gift EnvelopesLucinda Winston
When making homemade gifts, attaching name labels to them makes the gifts even more special. Felt gift envelopes are an awesome way to package up gift cards and other small gifts to give to friends and family. These envelopes are not only limited to felt, as you can use most kinds of materials to make them. They are great for any occasion, including Christmas, birthdays, and just because.
- Grosgrain ribbon
- Felt or your fabric of choice
- Sewing Machine
- Measure out the fabric to make sure there is enough room to slide a gift into a pocket created with it. Allow 1 inch on 3 sides for seams and 1/2 of an inch for the top. Make sure that you allow enough fabric to accommodate the gift.
- Fold 1/4 inch of the seams in on all sides, iron, and sew in place. This should leave you with thin, straight edges to the fabric. However, you can skip this step if you use felt.
- Fold the right sides over into the middle of the fabric and sew a seam with a 1/4 inch allowance. Trim the edges well.
- Turn the pocket right side out and push out the edges with a blunt tool. Now you can test to see if the gift fits.
- Sew a line of stitches on all ribbon ends to avoid fraying. Now sew that ribbon to the back of the pocket.
- Place the gift into the pocket, close the flap, and tie the ribbon.
For more easy gift ideas and to learn about our labels, contact us at It’s Mine!