Drawstring bags make it easy to carry things around, or you can use them to hold gifts. If you’re using them for gifts, when you make the bags, you can add stylish sewing labels to the sides of the bags. You have the option of making these bags large or small, to hold any number of things. You also have the freedom of choosing whatever print and color of material that you would like.
- Fabric in the size that will fit whatever you need to put in your bag
- A yard of ribbon
- Sewing machine
- Cut the fabric to the size you need. Your cut should be in the shape of a rectangle.
- Make a buttonhole for the drawstring of the fabric. Fold the material in half lengthwise and find the center of the bag front.
- Fold the fabric in half to make the bag shape with the wrong sides together. Stitch down both long sides with a 1/4″ seam. Flip the bag inside out and press the seams.
- Now stitch a new seam with the right sides touching just outside of the first seam.
- Fold the top of the bag under 1/4″, and then press it in place. Fold it down another 1 1/2″ and press again. Stitch along the bottom fold, taking care not to stitch the top of the bag together. Next, stitch another seam 1/2″ to 3/4″ above the first seam. Make sure the buttonhole is inside those seams.
- Trim open the buttonhole, and thread the ribbon through the bag using a safety pin attached to the ribbon. Once it is back out the other side of the buttonhole, tie the bag shut.
To learn more creative gift ideas and to shop our selection of labels, contact us at It’s Mine!