Sewn play mats make very nice gifts for toddlers and babies, especially when you customize those play mats with the family names on custom name labels. The play mat is very easy to make and takes only 15 to 30 minutes to finish. You are free to choose the types of materials and the designs on the play mat. You can either have both sides the same pattern or use two different patterns.
- 2 yards of the same fabric, or 1 yard each of 2 different fabrics
- Sewing machine
- 1/4″ thick quilt batting: 1 yard’s worth
- Iron both pieces of fabric and lay them with the right sides touching.
- Place the quilt batting on top of the two fabrics. It should be on top of the wrong side of the top piece of fabric.
- Pin the batting and fabric together on all four sides of the play mat. Sew three of the four sides with a 1/4″ seam allowance. On the 4th side, only sew half of it, leaving at least 6-10″ so that you can flip the fabric.
- Flip the fabric onto the right side. Push the corners out as well as possible using a blunt object, such as a chopstick or something similar.
- Fold the material inward at the hole and pin in place. Sew around the whole outside of the play mat using a 1/4 seam allowance.
- Take some thread in the color of your choice and add stitches at regular intervals to hold the fabric and batting together.
For more great sewing projects and ideas, contact us at It’s Mine!