From year to year, fashion magazines relay the same outdated clothing rules that are based on old-school etiquette. For example, the most well-known (and ridiculous) of these rules is the one that comes from the Civil War era and dictates not to wear white after Labor Day. In this day and age, women should embrace the many fashion options available to them in order to secure a style that’s truly unique. Here’s how:
- Do Wear Stripes: For years, we were told that vertical stripes make us look slim while horizontal lines are to be avoided. You can safely ignore this rule in today’s world – stripes come in any color and can complete almost every outfit.
- Don’t Go Overboard with Fur: Fur is a treasured addition to any closet; however, in today’s conscious landscape, your stole may be considered more gauche than gorgeous. Advances in faux fur have made it possible to find beautiful coats that will keep you warm through winter, without making your closet a target for animal activists.
- Do Mix Prints: Fashion magazines are often divided on this controversial subject. There’s definitely a right way and a wrong way to mix, however. Look for complementary colors in flattering hues for best results.
- Do Size Up: When in doubt, always go up a size if an item seems too small. Comfort and style should go hand in hand, so you don’t want to wear an item that’s skintight. Worse yet: rips and tears! Stay away from wardrobe malfunctions by making sure your clothes always look and feel great.
- Do Show Skin: Don’t be afraid to show a little skin with shoulder or waistline cutouts. Avoid super-revealing items that show too much cleavage or hemlines that rise up the thigh, however.
- Don’t Double-Denim: Chambray, linen, and denim are more popular than ever, but be careful how you style. Avoid wearing denim on the top and bottom to prevent a monochromatic look –known to some as a “Texas Tuxedo” – and instead shop for denim separates that can be interspersed throughout your weekly wardrobe.
- Do Wear White after Labor Day: This rule is finally becoming irrelevant. White is now considered acceptable in many seasons of the year – don’t forget your winter whites.
- Don’t Stay Loyal to Cardigans: There are better layers out there! Shop trenches, pullovers, dusters, leather jackets, and more, for functional outerwear that looks great.
- Do Shop Last Season: Take advantage of end-of-season sales for great pieces at a fair price. You can always add or remove layers to take the items from season to season, or put your new clothes in storage for next year.
- Do Have Fun with It: The most important rule of fashion is to remember to have fun and be you!
For more tips on fashion and how to develop your own personal style, check back here each week. It’s Mine Labels know how to elevate your closet using the latest styles or DIY materials, including iron on clothing labels for kids or sticker labels. To learn more about our products and how they can be used for all your fashion needs, call 1-866-695-2235.